Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Barbie beauty shop

Okay, show of hands that I can't actually see: Who loves Pinterest? I'm guessing that anyone who reads this either does, or knows someone who does. We can all relate to the Pinteritis Bug somehow. Yes, I just made up a medical condition for Pinterest addicts. And it's awesome.

Anyway. So lately, several tutorials for how to detangle doll hair have popped up on Pinterest. Grace has some dolls with some grosstastic (okay, so that one isn't as good) hair. It sounded like something fun for us to do together, so I picked a tutorial and we opened our own little beauty shop. Rapunzel, Ariel, and Sleeping Beauty had the worst hair so they were our first customers. 

Yeah. We've got guts.

And combs of steel.

Their hair was seriously horrible. How did it get so bad? You'd think they'd been tortured by that deranged kid from Toy Story. This seems to be a universal thing with doll hair. And what do they give your kid to take care of it? Those stupid tiny combs that don't do anything but make the hair worse than it already was. They also tick kids off to the point of spitting fireballs across the room because they won't comb all the way through. Or maybe that's just my kid. Someone needs to find these people and throw these worthless things at them. It will be a public combing. 

I would link to the blog where the tutorial came from but I wasn't satisfied with the results, so mum's the word. I don't want to give someone's tutorial the thumbs down and then say whose it was, you know? 

The Blog That Shall Not Be Named called for baby oil and baby shampoo, in that order. Grace and I ended up adding conditioner at the end because of leftover tangles. Speaking of tangles, ohhhh the horror. You were supposed to comb out the tangles after applying the baby oil. This helped a lot but was still such a pain and took forEVER. Rapunzel (for obvious reasons) was the worst. 

Rapunzel's pretty tiara had to be removed for this. She had it coming.

I'm not sure why, but the baby oil didn't work for us like it did for the other person. After the dolls were all washed and detangled, their hair was really super greasy. It was slick and oily and smelled like an infant so it wasn't caused by the conditioner. So Grace and I started over. I think she was happy our first attempt was a bust. She's a doll hair cleanin' fool. 


A clever friend of mine suggested using Dawn to zap the greasiness out of their hair. So we lathered them up with a generous amount and let it sit for a few minutes. Ariel got some Dawn in her eyes during the process, but I don't think she minded. 


Then after a good rinsing, it was back to the baby shampoo and that's it. (The conditioner wasn't needed again.) We rinsed out the shampoo, combed their hair again, let dry, and voila! They look much happier now, don't you think?




Now let's see how long this lasts. 

If you're looking for something fun to do with your kid and have dolls with Richard Simmons hair, I'd definitely recommend this. Grace had a blast and really got into it. Next up is Belle. Girlfriend needs a serious makeover. 

If anyone on the planet ever cares, I think this would've worked fine had we ignored the baby oil step:
  • Baby shampoo, let sit for 5-10 minutes
  • Comb hair from ends to scalp
  • Rinse 
  • Conditioner 
  • Rinse again
  • Comb again
Easy peasy. Except for those nasty tangles. Those'll getcha. 



4 comments:

  1. Ok, first of all, I haven't laughed at a blog post this much in a long time. You are hysterical. Second of all, holy crap - what a difference! They look like you just pulled them from the box. I'm pinning this for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome, my first pin!!! And I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter used to have lots of dolls. I've never wash it just like you did in this tutorial. My daughter stopped playing it because of it's messy hair. THanks for this tips.

    imedeen

    ReplyDelete